Generally I am not a person to keep a track of events and dates. ( I even forget birthdays of my parents, finally when I do remember, I try to make up for it. ) As usual I don't remember the dates. My mind has only kept track with the events since they are connected with emotions. It has very carefully deleted the rest of the day except this....
Scene 1
It was a different city. I went to visit my boyfriend at his place. He had a new job and a new place to stay, provided by the company. It was my first time visiting my boyfriend in his domain. It felt strange, talking to him in his place. We kept the door open, careful not to let anybody's imagination start functioning routinely(hypocrisy I guess!!!). We were talking to each other when this young man entered without knocking. (Though knocking was not required, he could have let his make his presence felt before entering). I got introduced to the second man sharing the room.
A few days later I learned from my boyfriend that he is shifting with this man.(MAN!!!)
I was staying in another apartment very near to where my boyfriend stayed. In fact, he used to stay in that very room before he shifted and very conveniently handed over the room to me. Yes convenience it was. His apartment was just a few blocks away just opposite to my new place.
We generally cooked together -my roommates, my boyfriend, his roommate and I. For ease of work, we distributed the work among us. Everyone had enough on his/her plate already. Somehow, this second man
always managed to skip his part of the duty roster.
Scene 2
You freaking olf! How could you forget to go to the market! Now what am I supposed to cook! That too for 4-5 people! I was rushing, running to keep everything alright, somehow trying to fulfill his part of the duty and mine.
I would scold him a thousand times, still for some unknown reason, could not withstand the thought of him being let down by others. He managed to enter in the girls' room without knocking. Oh come on, I did not save his back either. When someone chose to take a grumpy ride, I just listened.
This second man somehow became very close to me. I knew about his casual affairs and always look upon them as essential by product of his immature mind. I tried to talk it out, but somehow this man would give a crap to any reasoning. By this time I learned another thing. This man responded to love. My memory does not recall taking care of him, it only remembers the warmth of occasional hugs when either of us was in distress.
Scene 4
Yeah. My boyfriend and I were working and going very strong. Both of us shared a special bond with this young man.(Actually young and eager to become a man!). Like anyone living away from home, we always experienced money going scanty. Imagine this second man using mineral water for washing his face! Just too much.
Scene 5
It was my last night of spinsterhood. I made 2 of my very close friends and my cousin to come over and sleep with me. Hey don't get me wrong! Both are girls and are true friends of mine. I wanted to share the moments with my loved ones, talk and giggle away tension like all girls do. My friends slept and I was awake. The feeling I had, bore no resemblance with being happy or sad. The next day, the very next day was about to start a new chapter of my life. The limits of insomnia drove me to my balcony. Till today I could not make out I was gladder to be see him there or share everything I had in mind. Perhaps both. We talked for a long time, then returned to our respective beds to catch some sleep. Both us knew that we needed it for the big event.
In any Bengali household, there is someone from the family to go and fetch the groom. Generally this responsibility is carried out by someone in the family or very close. He went with my uncle to fetch his ex-roommate.
Scene 6
It was 2 days past after the event. My parents were frantic about me. Of course we were in touch over the phone, and they knew everything was alright..... (Again, this can be understood only by the newly wed Indian brides. )
For me it was a new house, a new environment, a new language, new people, a new way of life, new manners, and above all, newly acquired married life. My parents sent him to assure everything was fine. Just seeing him in the midst of the bizarre planet gave a wind of freshness. My in-laws gave us time and privacy to catch up with each other. It was his friend's house too, but for him, it was his sister in her "in-laws" place. His presence gave me courage. His hug assured that I am not alone.
The man I love the most is my father. He has been only second to the man whom I love the most. My boyfriend and husband got the priviledge of hugging me for the first time. He has been only second to the man who hugged me for the first time. He is my brother. He is the first man with whom I have experienced the bond of sibling.
I always freak out when I try to think about his married life. I want him to get the best life partner and yet am always worried 'what if he gets anyone less than perfect'! I just pray to God, that everything is going on very very well with him.
No matter what you do, you will always be my little innocent brother. Rakhi will always be very special to me because of you. You wrist is now beyond my Rakhi's reach. I just hope my best wishes could protect you from everything.
Note: 2 years back, a good friend of mine posted a blog on "Rakhi Brother". He is right too! This festival has been abused beyond horizon, only to mask budding friendship. Here is a link to his blog: Rakhi Brother
Still there are some genuine freaks who rediscover this festival with new spirit every year.
Nice Story though. Well, the same is true for a boys as well.....he get to know the womens world first from his sister first.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading it
Deletenicely conveyed the emotions...well i would say you should blog more often!!!...its great to read your posts.... :)
ReplyDeleteThis came out as a result of your inspiration. Thanks Preeti.
DeleteNice. There are certain relationships which remain evergreen, irrespective of time or distance. One such special relationship is def the one that we share with our siblings.
ReplyDeleteYes Paro... And I wish everyone should have a taste of these healthy relationships in life!!!
DeleteA fantastic piece of blogging...really looking forward to the next one :-)
ReplyDeleteI am honoured!!! :-)
DeleteLiked it, I was expecting a surprise ending though. You can write drama, carry it on !
ReplyDeleteThanks for referring my post though !
Ashish, if you had expected a surprise and it came, then I must say I could not surprise you... :-)
Delete